Monday, September 29, 2008

Nature Vs. Nurture

Being a science teacher and all, I've often wondered about the subject of the above mentioned title. Since having children, I've pondered the subject even more. Both of mine are boys and both of my younger sister's are girls.--Hence, the rowdiness at my house and the drama at hers! This, plus much more evidence, leads me to lean on the nature side quite often. Case in point to follow:

Weekends are EXTREMELY long for me. We see Kirk on Fridays after the game on the field for about 5 minutes. He usually comes in around 1 or 2 a.m. after we're all asleep. That's it for Friday. On Saturday, he pokes his head out of his office long enough to watch Joshua's football game, but he stands on the field to watch and goes straight back to work before the snacks are given out. (He did make it home for dinner on Saturday night, though.) Sunday's are always hectic trying to get everyone ready for church and then rushing to eat lunch, so Daddy can get back to work ASAP. He usually makes it home around 7 or so on Sunday nights.

You catch my drift? Weekends are extremely long for me! (I really do have a point here.--Stay with me!)

Yesterday was a particularly long day due to the fact that the boys couldn't look at each other without fighting. It was driving me nuts, so finally about 4 o'clock, I called Nana and asked could we bring the fighting, I mean come over to her house and play. Of course she agreed and off we went. My ideal plan was for me to sit on the screened in porch (anyone noticed how bad the mosquitos are lately?--It's almost October for goodness sakes!), with the ceiling fan going and watch the boys jump on the trampoline. That lasted for a while and then came the dragging out of every toy known to man from "the crates". John Thomas became engrossed in putting every toy up onto the tramp. Which took quite a while, because it is quite a feat for him to climb on and off! Meanwhile, Joshua and I decided to play football again.

We seem to have some of our best conversations during our passing games.

"Mama, this is going to be the best touchdown pass ever."
"Okay, that wasn't it. THIS is going to be the best touchdown pass ever."
"This one is going to be the best punt ever."
"Mom, pass it over there. This is going to be the best interception ever."
"Okay, this is going to be the best back up, take a knee and let the clock run out ever." (Is that a coach's kid or what?)
"This one is going to be the best spin, break a tackle and score ever."

This continued on and on until he is running past me doing one of his "best ever" moves and he stops, bursts out laughing and says, "This one is the best TOOT ever!!" and commences to laugh and pass gas.

Shortly thereafter, he informs me he needs to go the bathroom and can he please just go outside?!

My case is proven, is it not?! I did not teach him these things!!

1 comment:

zum the mum said...

I can't believe you just lied to ALL of your readers and told them you didn't teach him that! You do it better than anyone!!!

Love that boy! (and his mama)