Monday, September 15, 2008

"The Best Day of My Life"

Wow! Last week was a stressful one. It was "Union/Jenks Week". For as long as I can remember, there has been "Union/Jenks Week" . I went to Jenks and then taught at Jenks, but then I married a Union football coach and things went from fun and festivities to a little more seriousness. Ultimately, that coach became the Head coach and things definitely went from serious to stressful! Well, all the stress culminated in victory Friday night and smiles were abundant all around our house! Major victory for the kids, coaches, community and our family! But that wasn't the "best day of Joshua's life"...

Saturday, I woke up early to the sounds of pouring rain outside my window. I thought to myself how glad I was that JK's flag football game was on the turf intead of the grass field this week. By game time, it was not raining and we enjoyed the game without rain gear or umbrellas. Joshua had a touchdown and pulled two flags! But that wasn't the "best day of Joshua's life"...

After an EXTREMELY muggy Friday and Saturday, we awoke on Sunday to a sweet, cool morning. We went to church and learned about not losing our zeal or passion for God and our spiritual walk. Joshua won New Testament Bingo twice in his small group and received 2 Laffy Taffy's! After church, we met Doo-Daddy (Nana was sick) at Fuddruckers for lunch and JK won 3 prizes out of the hardest arcade machine in the place! When we came home he played Madden on PS2 and beat the computer by a bazillion! Later, I needed to go out and mow and made the boys go out with me. They scootered and played golf and climbed on the fort. Every few rows, I would stop and push them on the swings. After I finished, we sat on the back porch and ate popscicles. A rousing game of football ensued thereafter between Joshua and I. (JT played with us periodically, but mostly got out every toy we have in the back yard and ran about!) That is when the "best day of my life started". In between passes, JK started talking..."I love breezy days like these, it reminds me that Halloween is coming." "I love wearing these cozy shorts (long, cut off sweat shorts)". "I love playing ball with you, Mom." "You're the best mom I've ever had." (Ok, so I'm the only mom you've ever had!) "It doesn't get any better than this!" "I'm so glad JT's my little brother." (At the time, JT was leaving us alone and playing pleasantly by himself!) "That was a great pass, Mom." "That's okay, Mom. I don't always throw it very good every time either." "I just love breezy days like these!" "You almost got me that time, Mom."

We played until past dinner time and finally Daddy got home, and I went inside to fix something quick for dinner..."Wow, Mom, a bacon sandwich. That's exactly what I wanted."...On to showers and into bed. "Can we read part of my book from the tooth fairy, Mom?" (He lost a tooth on the field after the game on Friday night!) "Yes, but only 2 chapters. You pick which ones." He picked and we took turns reading one page after another. I told him that his aunt Lucy and I used to laugh and laugh about this same story. He giggled so much I thought that he would wake up John Thomas. After we finished and said prayers, he turned and said, "Mom, this was the best day of my life." Wow, not Daddy's win, or his success in his own game, or his birthday or Big Splash or the lake or all his other favorite things...TODAY was "the best day of his life". Glad for once I wasn't too busy or too lazy to be a part of it.

2 comments:

zum the mum said...

My precious Joshua, I'm so thankful that you had "the best day". I'm glad your mommy had a great day too.

This post made me smile. A lot.

Unknown said...

What a special day! What a bummer that I could not share it! He is such a precious grandson and his NANA loves him so much. I think his mom is pretty special too.