Friday, August 22, 2008

My, My How I've Mellowed!


Now that my arm has recovered from patting myself on the back for mopping the other day (All the motivation was short lived--I still haven't finished the bathrooms or the dusting!), I need to once again brag on myself.

Those who know me today might only suspect that I might be a little tightly wound, but they have no idea that I have always been, well let's just say...a tiny bit type A, anal retentive, obsessive compulsive, over-achieving , "all-girl" perfectionist! For a little history, I will give some brief examples:

*In fifth grade, I got so anxious about the first day of school, I threw up and missed it entirely. Much to my dismay, that made the second day of school even harder!

*In middle school, I made my dad go with me on schedule pick-up day. We would walk to every class on my schedule and make me a list of directions.

*In high school, I had my mom bring home bulletin board paper (she was an elementary teacher) so I could cover my textbooks. I would buy coordinating folders (red cover/red folder and so on) so I could maximize my time at my locker and make sure I didn't arrive in class unprepared or with improper materials.

*To this day, I bet if you went back to the on-campus apartments at Oklahoma Baptist University and went in my old bedroom, you'd see hot pink fingernail polish spots on the dresser. I repainted my nails every night to make them look fresh. I also rolled my hair every night on spongy rollers, so even if I overslept, my hair would always look good.

*At my first teaching job at Tulsa Public, I was wearing black jeans on a spirit day. I always sent all my jeans to the cleaners and they were so starched and creased that a student thought I was wearing leather pants!

*Later in my swinging single days, my church singles group went camping one weekend at a campground near an OK lake. We slept in tents and it POURED down rain all night. The next morning I awoke, went up to the showers and emerged in an ironed t-shirt tucked into cut-off jean shorts (purchased that way at Old Navy) and a belt! Later that summer I went to Africa on missions and the group bet that I couldn't make it 2 weeks without wearing parfume.

Get my drift?

What spurred this post...This morning I was at a donut shop ordering donuts for a surprise birthday party for my son's teacher. (They do donuts that spell out "happy birthday" and all kinds of shapes and decorations.--Let me tell you, they. are. cute!) While I was looking at all of the designs and talking to the owner, John Thomas was looking in the case. All of a sudden, he screeches, "Momma, star! Momma, me, star donut!" I only paused for just a second, and then I ordered it for him. You do not understand the growth here, people! Had this same scenario presented itself 5 years ago with Joshua (mind you, I did not even have his bag complete with bib and wipees with me or in the car!), there would not have even been a pause! The answer would have been "Not on your life, child of mine!" (Well, maybe not those exact words, but something to that effect with a nice tone of voice, of course!) But here I am five years later, buying a donut with icing for my 2 year old, curly-head. We sat and visited and he thoroughly enjoyed his donut. And you know what? So did I!

Like I said, most people in my world today only suspect my former tendencies. Now I have learned to let my house go dirty (okay, it's neat but not clean!) while I play with the kids. I wear sweats or gym shorts and my hair in a clip (I've really learned this one well!). I even let my kiddos run in the sprinkler with their clothes on. So you see, I have so mellowed!

Did I leave out the part where JT really wanted the BLUE star donut and I "gently steered" him towards "wanting" the WHITE one?!:)

7 comments:

zum the mum said...

SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! You crack me up...steering him to the white donut! Too bad he's not still in his "Cujo" phase. He would have already been wearing a bib and you would've been good to go!

We had a BLAST last night! What a fun evening to spend with you!

Unknown said...

Oh, Luc, I love the visual of "Cujo" and the blue donut!!!!

I will have to agree, you have mellowed at least some! I do love you so!

MOM

Unknown said...

HOLY COW! That picture is to die for! Such a crazy cutie! Tina - John Thomas may be the craziest Fridrich yet...get ready!

Lauren said...

Hahaha! Coordinating school supplies to minimize locker time. Hilarious!!

The Frizzy Chalk Shop said...

The infamous sponge rollers!!!! I think those need to be shadow boxed and put in the OBU archives along with my shoulder pad collection :)

Mommy Pose said...

Oh, that was hilarious! :) I love the re-painting of your nails each night along with the sponge rollers. I love your blog, and enjoy reading about your fam!

Stacey said...

isn't it amazing how children do that to us! especiall boys!!